Sunday, February 19, 2012

We all matter

10-09-2009

Today I actually got something specific I would like to share. That’s rather strange as usually my “wanting to write” normally comes along with “nothing to write about”, but not today, for some reason. This is something I’ve been thinking about for months but could never put it down in words how I wanted to. A movie I watched the other night and my past year and a half watching a virtual society grow and evolve to what it is today are probably responsible for these thoughts.
I guess the reason why I never get to explain this properly is because I always try to get down to the details of it first but I’ve started to think that’s not the proper approach. Straight to the point first and I’ll go from there.
Try to picture yourself in the middle of a war that you have seen coming. You witnessed how the first misunderstanding (or not) took place, you saw how the people, poorly represented, was drawn into a fight that was not their own due to lies being repeated so often they became the truth of that moment. Hate grows beyond limits despite having no real reason to exist and both sides are right and wrong at the same time.
The feeling when this timeline takes place is like you are looking at the top of a hill at wintertime, all completely white. Then you see someone, intentionally or not doesn’t matter, throwing a tiny little snowball downwards from the top. As you probably know, that ball will start growing and growing until it becomes a threat to everything it finds in its way.
Truth is that small actions, decisions, coincidences… things that seem unable to cause a bigger consequence than what their own size would predict might have a tremendous impact. You might be able to tell disaster from the very moment it is born but despite how much you try you don’t seem to be able to stop it. I don’t think we’re necessarily meant to, but we are responsible for the role we play as individuals anyway.
A principle most of us actually live by on a regular basis is something like: “little me don’t make a difference anyway, so why bother?” Well… I guess my point is, as so many have said already, that we do matter. But in my opinion it’s not that what we do always makes a difference, it’s the fact that if don’t try we always make sure we don’t.
I love the quote: “All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.” To me it means that despite having no guarantee of victory we are responsible for not guaranteeing defeat.

We might face a situation that’s bigger than us and feel we are insignificant to its outcome. Well, if we have decisions to make, if we have options… we are part of it too. Just as much as the number of coincidences and random decisions that had us where we are, a joint number of new decisions can be the difference between one result or another.
I might write a bit more about this sometime as there is so much more to it, but for now these were my thoughts for today.  ^_^

Valhadria.

No comments:

Post a Comment