Wednesday, April 9, 2014

I don't care... should I?

Linked to what I wrote the other day and on the subject “why should I care what people think or talk about” I had some random thoughts today. And yes, I do occasionally think but It’s really exhausting so it doesn’t happen very often. :P

I am really a carefree person when it comes to this, but at the same time I think I’ve been educated a way that gives me some sort of “common sense” that I tend to ignore. Truth is in our everyday life we do live with constant judgement from others, friends included, and ignoring it completely does have consequences.

I could say that I dress exactly as I please (and I’m sure I do more carelessly than most of the people I’m around) but truth is I do take where and with who I’m going to spend time into account. Unconsciously I should add. If it’s completely casual I guess I don’t give it a thought, but if it’s not there are certain basics and policies that play a part. To me this is a matter of respect and think it’s ok even though I don’t necessarily agree.

In the same way, when I act or talk I could say I should be able to do exactly as I see fit… but then again there are other people that might “suffer” the consequences. I do actually think twice about how what I say or do might affect the people around me because I do care about that. I sort of envy people that are able to lash out whatever they feel like without caring because I really think it’s a lot healthier than bottling stuff up, but I don’t seem to be able to. Every word I say needs to be rethought before I say it to make sure it comes across right. Obviously the more comfortable I get around people the more I relax this, but it’s almost always there.

I also want to make a quick mention of what I find a disgusting habit, which is gossip. I know we all do it to a certain degree, but to be honest… people’s privacy should be sacred and speculating about it without knowing is distasteful to say the least. Even when you do know, why is it anybody’s business? That being said I refuse to do or not do anything based on it. People can talk all they want by me and I’m still going to be myself. Period.


So about the topic… yes I think people should be able to appear, say or do as they wish as long as it doesn’t affect others.  On the other hand, being realistic, we know that people around us doesn’t have to agree with this so it’s also a matter of being smart. Of course we can play the victim saying we didn’t get what we wanted due to discrimination for example (getting a little extreme) but we can also play by the rules (by all means, bend them) and get where or what we want. It might not be total freedom, but hey… anyone still thinks that’s a concept we have at any point today? Just asking… ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment